The former neighbor of San Bernardino shooter, Syed Farook, was arrested on Dec. 17, 2015 for providing material support to the terrorists. Above is a photo of Mr. Marquez. (https://twitter.com/ronjboyd/status/675056003625443328)
Enrique Marquez, who was once the neighbor of San Bernardino shooter, Syed Farook, was arrested on Dec. 17, 2015 and charged with providing material support to terrorists. Mr. Marquez, 24, provided two of the automatic weapons that were used during the San Bernardino terrorist attack at the Inland Regional Center. He also provided the smokeless powder used to make the pipe bombs.
The attack was carried out by Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik at the Inland Regional Center. The mass murder left 14 people dead and another 22 injured. Farook and Malik were both killed in a shoot-out with authorities.
U.S. Attorney Eileen M. Decker of the Central District of California said, “While there currently is no evidence that Mr. Marquez participated in the Dec. 2, 2015 attack or had advance knowledge of it, his prior purchase of the firearms and ongoing failure to warn authorities about Farook’s intent to commit mass murder had fatal consequences.”
Although Marquez is not believed to have participated in the Dec. 2 attack, authorities told reporters that he did admit that he and Farook had planned an attack of their own in 2011. Those attacks were not carried out. However, Farook and Marquez “discussed a firearms and explosives attack on Riverside Community College.”
According to authorities, the two men planned to use pipe bombs and the automatic weapons to kill as many people as possible at the college cafeteria, then flee to a hill overlooking the nearby 91 freeway, throw pipe bombs onto the freeway in order to stop traffic, then Farook would walk among the stopped cars shooting drivers and passengers at random while Marquez shot at them from the hillside. Officials also said the plan called for Marquez to “watch for law enforcement and emergency vehicles, and his priority was to shoot law enforcement before shooting life-saving personnel.”
While they did not carry out that terrorist act, the two men did practice building pipe bombs. Later, the two automatic weapons that had been purchased for the earlier attack were eventually used by Farook and his wife to carry out the San Bernardino attack.
Marquez had a court appearance today during which he said that he understood the charges against him. He is scheduled for a bail hearing on Monday, Dec. 21 at 2:00 p.m.
According to the Federal complaint, Marquez, the former neighbor of San Bernardino shooter Farook, was convinced by his long-time friend to convert to Islam approximately eight years ago. Then, Farook radicalized Marquez by using online videos and literature from Al Qaeda.
In addition to the charges of providing material support to terrorists, Mr. Marquez is also accused of marrying a Russian women who was a member of Farook’s extended family, for the sole reason that it would enable the woman to come to the United States. The complaint said that Marquez is accused of “defrauding immigration authorities by entering into a sham marriage with a member of Farook’s family.” Marquez’s family insist that they did not know about the wedding or his other activities. Marquez was paid $200 a month for entering into the sham marriage.
If he is convicted of all the charges against him, Mr. Marquez could face up to 35 years in prison.
You may also be interested in reading these articles that were written earlier about the San Bernardino shooting:
San Bernardino California Mass Shooting – At Least 14 Dead
Multiple Motives for the California Mass Shooting
What is Known about San Bernardino Mass Shooters
San Bernardino Shooters Radicalized for Long Time
ABC “Nightly News”
CBS News radio, 1070
#SanBernardinoShooting #NeighborOfSanBernardinoShooters #EnriqueMarquez
Share with your friendsFollow Us