Bulls and Bears both exert their power over the stock market from time to time. Today, neither seemed very strong, with the market almost unchanged. geralt / Pixabay
U.S. Stock Market Closing Prices:
Dow Jones Industrial Averages: 17,158.66 +9.72
S & P 500: 2,016.71 +4.05
NASDAQ: 4,891.43 -11.66
Major Events Affecting Today’s Stock Market:
After a significant sell-off in the markets yesterday, the major market indexes closed nearly unchanged, with the Dow up less than 10 points, the S&P 500 up less than 5 points and the Nasdaq down less than 12 points.
Positive Stock Market News – Jan. 5, 2016
- The Alamo Group raised their dividend by 12.5 percent yesterday, to .09 cents a share.
- Toyota December auto sales in the U.S. were up 10.8 percent. However, this was lower than the 13.3 percent rise that had been predicted by Edmunds.
- Fiat Chrysler December sales were up 12.6 percent. This was their best December sales in 90 years. However, like Toyota, they missed the estimate made by Edmunds of an 18.8 percent increase.
- Ford’s December sales in the US were up 8.4 percent, less than the 11 percent increase expected by Edmunds.
- The strong auto sales in December are expected to make 2015 the best year on record or automakers.
- Smith & Wesson stock has done well over the past three months:
Negative Stock Market News – Jan. 5, 2016
- After yesterday’s sell-off around the world, Japan’s Nikkei was down 0.4 percent and Austrialia shares fell 1.1 percent.
- After yesterday’s market close, Chipotle shares were downgraded by Oppenheimer. Their stock fell 6 percent.
- Alaska has lost its AAA rating from S&P because the drop in oil prices has damaged the state’s budget.
- Puerto Rico reported they had a 30 percent drop in holiday sales in 2015.
- Fitbit hit an all-time low during trading today.
Sectors that are in red below are the ones that are having a negative impact on the markets. Technology and services were obviously the biggest drags today.
Significant Dates, Events and Economic Reports in January
- 8 – Employment Situation report for December, 2015 will be released.
- 12 – Results of Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey for November, 2015 will be announced.
- 14 – U.S. Import and Export Price Indexes for December, 2015 will be released.
- 15 – Dec. 2015 Produce Price Index announced.
- 20 – The Consumer Price Index and Real Earnings reports for December, 2015 will be revealed.
- 26 — Regional and State Employment and Unemployment (Monthly) for December, 2015
- 29 – Employment Cost Index numbers released for the Fourth Quarter 2015
Market prices provided by http://finance.yahoo.com
Share with your friendsFollow Us