Affluenza Teen, Ethan Couch, Returns to Texas Custody

Ethan-Couch-arrest-@USAtoday - affluenza teen

Above is a photo of the “affluenza teen,” Ethan Couch, being taken through DFW airport in police custody, headed to the Tarrant County, TX, juvenile detention center. At a hearing on his case Friday morning, the judge decided that Couch will continue to be housed in the juvenile detention center where he was taken upon his arrival in the U.S. (

Ethan Couch, better known as the “affluenza teen” after he received a sentence of probation following a drunk driving accident that killed four people and injured two others, has been returned to Texas custody.  He has spent the past month in a Mexican prison.

The Tarrant County, Texas, sheriff confirmed today that Ethan Couch has been officially booked into the Lynn Ross Juvenile Detention Center.  There was a hearing on Couch’s alleged probation violation on Friday morning.

The sheriff also said that Ethan Couch appears to be in visibly good health.  However, he will have a health screening to confirm his condition.

At the hearing on Friday, the judge had three options for dealing with the so-called affluenza teen.  He could have released him on bond; he could order him to stay at the current juvenile detention center where he is being held; or he could order that the defendant be taken to an adult jail.  The judge decided to keep him in the juvenile detention center.

The attorneys for Ethan Couch released a statement saying they are optimistic that their client “will comply with all court-imposed terms and conditions and that he will successfully complete his term of probation.”  You can read their full statement below:

Ethan Couch and his mother were captured in December in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico after a month-long manhunt for the two of them.  When Couch was 16 years old, he killed four people in a drunk driving accident.  He was sentenced to probation at that time when his lawyer successfully argued that his wealthy family had not taught him right from wrong; his affluent upbringing was the cause of his out-of-control behavior.

The mother and son fled to Mexico in November when a video appeared on social media of Ethan attending a party where drinking games were occurring.

Couch’s mother was brought back to Texas earlier in January.  She was released after posting $75,000 bail and is required to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet.  She also must live at the home of her older son.  Tonya Couch was not allowed to attend her son’s hearing on Friday morning.


Share with your friends

Follow Us

Enter your email address to get updated when we have new posts on the site and never miss a thing:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *