Bulls were in control of the stock market today, despite the fact that there has been a downward general trend for the past month and a half. geralt / Pixabay
U.S. Stock Market Closing Prices:
Dow Jones Industrial Averages: 15,973.84 +313.66
S & P 500: 1,864.78 +35.70
NASDAQ: 4,337.51 +70.67
Major Events Affecting Today’s Stock Market:
After another volatile week, the major market indexes closed higher today, though still down for the week. Today, the Dow rose 2.00 percent, the S&P 500 was up 1.95 percent, and the Nasdaq recovered 1.66 percent.
Positive Stock Market News – Feb. 12, 2016
- JP Morgan Chase and Goldman Sachs added over 60 points to the Dow by midday today.
- European bank stocks and oil prices rose overnight, energizing U.S. stocks today.
- January U.S. retail sales rose 0.2 percent, which beat the 0.1 percent increase that had been predicted.
- Shares of Germany’s Deutsche Bank rose after it confirmed both Euro and U.S. bond buyback plans of three billion in Euro denominated debt and $2 billion in dollar denominated debt.
- U.S. crude oil futures settled at $29.44 a barrel, up over 12 percent from yesterday, though still lower than many people in the energy sector would like to see.
- As often happens when investors are nervous, gold prices have been rising.
Negative Stock Market News – Feb. 12, 2016
- Shares of the retailer, L. Brands, turned negative after the company announced that Victoria Secret’s CEO will resign.
- U.S. consumer sentiment fell to a 4 month low.
- Boeing’s stock fell 0.4 percent in pre-market trading after it was downgraded by J.P. Morgan.
- Other countries have also been experiencing turbulent markets, as you can see in the chart below on Japan’s market:
Significant Dates, Events and Economic Reports in February
- 12 – U.S. Import and Export Price Indexes for Jan. 2016
- 17 – Producer Price Index for Jan. 2016
- 19 – Consumer Price Index and Real Earnings for Jan. 2016
- 25 – Annual Volunteering in the U.S. report
Significant Dates, Events and Economic Reports in March
- March 3 – Productivity and Costs for 4th 2015
- March 4 – Employment Situation for Feb. 2016
- March 15 – Producer Price Index for Feb. 2016
- March 16 – Consumer Price Index for Feb. 2016
- March 17 – Job Openings and Labor Turnover for Jan. 2016
- March 22 – Employment Situation of Veterans Annual Report for 2015
Market prices provided by http://finance.yahoo.com
Charts and statistics from: https://twitter.com/StockTwits
#StockMarketNews #StockMarketReport #StockMarket
Share with your friendsFollow Us