Rising Death Toll After Repeated Air Strikes on Aleppo

In the past few days, more than 40 people have been killed and the death toll of civilians continues to rise as the regime continues to pummel rebel-held areas in Aleppo with airstrikes on Saturday.

According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, at least 28 people have been reported dead as a result of air strikes in the rebel-held regions of Aleppo on Saturday. The victims of Saturday’s bombings were mainly women and children. One bomb struck just outside of a hospital in the Maadi region, with several others damaging various sections of the hospital. Several hospital staff members were wounded and services have been completely shut down.

This comes on the heels of air strikes on the Salhin and Tariq al-Bab districts, which are also rebel-held regions. The strikes on Thursday that killed at least 12 individuals also consisted mostly of women and children. As told to Al Arabiya by Jomaa Hassan, “Total destruction,” indicating to a smoking building behind him.

“These are civilians: a taxi driver, a municipal worker. These are the terrorists in their eyes,” Hassan said.

The following list of rebel-held regions was reportedly struck with regime airstrikes on Saturday: al-Maadi, al-Mughayer, Bab Hadid, Bab al-Nasr, Bab al-Neirab, Bab Qansrin, al-Mayser, al-Jazmati, al-Sukkari, al-Muwasalt, and al-Ferdous. There are reports of further clashes taking place in al-Layramoun, al-Mallah, and Castello Road.

On July 7, an important road leading into the rebel-held areas, Castello Road was taken over and shut down by the Syrian government and allied troops last week. Fighting intensified after the road was effectively cut off, making it impossible for supplies to be brought in for the people residing within the region. According to the U.N., approximately 300,000 people depend on that road, as it is the only way in and out of the opposition-held region of Aleppo.

On Thursday, many people attempted to pass using Castello Road but were met with fierce opposition by the government, coming under fire that wounded several. The Syrian government alleges it was shelled by rebel forces in western Aleppo, leaving at least one dead. In spite of a cessation of hostilities, the regime has continued pushing forward in the fight to take back Aleppo.

Fighting has continued to intensify over the past few months, in spite of an alleged ceasefire that many government officials have openly criticized. Since March 2011, the death toll in Syria is estimated to be between 250,000 and 470,000. Millions have been displaced and forced to flee their homes.

 

 


Share with your friends
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditmail

Follow Us
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusyoutube

Enter your email address to get updated when we have new posts on the site and never miss a thing:

Delivered by FeedBurner





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *