Washington State Car Chase: Blame it on Boredom

Boredom can do strange things to the mind.

When asked why he led police on a 49 mile high speed chase, a Thurston County, Washington, man told police he did it because he was “bored.”

According to Thurston County deputies, David B. McNalley, 30, led cars from several police agencies from Tumwater to well into Pierce County and back again, reaching speeds as high as 100 mph before he crashing into a fence northeast of Olympia.

It all started in Tumwater, when a Thurston County sheriff’s deputy noticed a driver screeching to a halt at the intersection of Yelm Highway and Henderson Boulevard. While the light turned green, the car’s driver made eye contact with the officer before peeling out and speeding away into Olympia.

The deputy switched on his sirens in an attempt to pull the driver over, but the driver peeled away at speeds of as much as 45 mph through a residential area. The driver soon found himself at a dead end, and drove onto an undeveloped lot where he turned around, ultimately coming back at the deputy.

He drove straight for the deputy, swerving away at the last second, making contact with the patrol car’s push bars, then speeding through a stop sign and onto Henderson boulevard at 80 mph in a 25 mph zone, passing by other drivers by way of the shoulder. The deputy was in hot pursuit as the driver entered Interstate 5 North at the Henderson Boulevard interchange.

The pursuit continued for more than an hour, crossing into Pierce County then circling back into Thurston County. Several police agencies were involved. At times, speeds reached as much as 100 mph.

According to Sgt. Dave Odegaard with the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office Odegaard, the pursuit “was discontinued three times due to speed and public safety.”

Reaching speeds of 70 mph, the chase continued on East Bay Drive Northeast, but near 36th Avenue, on Libby Road Northeast, the driver slammed on his brakes in an attempt to avoid a spike strip. He then swerved into a ditch, crashing through a cement pillar before stopping in a field.

More trouble was ahead for the officers on the scene. The driver refused to obey orders and get out of his car. Ultimately, he was pulled out of the car, but continued resisting arrest.

After he was arrested, according to prosecutors, the driver “blankly stared at the 105 pound police dog barking a mere two feet from him and asked nonchalantly, ‘What’s the dog’s name?'”

The deputy asked the driver why he tried to run from police, to which he replied, “I don’t know, I guess I was bored,” according to prosecutors.

Surprisingly, no one was hurt in the chase. The driver, who was booked into the Thurston County Jail on three counts of investigation of attempting to elude police vehicles, did not appear to be under the influence of alcohol. Additionally, he had no prior criminal record or outstanding warrants, and his driver’s license was valid.


Image source: Pixabay

Share with your friends

Follow Us

Enter your email address to get updated when we have new posts on the site and never miss a thing:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *