George Michael’s remake of the Freedom 90 video gets new faces and high style. The A-list remake models include Adriana Lima, Joan Smalls, Anna Ewers, Irina Shayk and Taylor Hill.
The Eternal Fashion and Pop Mix
Fashion, supermodels and music have always had it going on but both of the George Michaels’ music videos epitomize the incredible partnership of those two components. Back in 1990, the popular video featured supermodels Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington and Tatjana Patitz, who lip-synced the George Michael’s Freedom song, while he intentionally stayed in the background out of plain view.
Here’s the fabulous original of the Freedom 90 Video with the above listed stars:
So today, to celebrate both the New York Fashion Week and the 26th anniversary of the well-received video, Vogue and Instagram teamed up to bring it up to date with today’s fashion and today’s fashion faces! Vogue tells us that the generation of supermodels in the fabulous remake—Adriana Lima, Joan Smalls, Anna Ewers, Irina Shayk, Taylor Hill, and more-—dressed up in some of the great new looks from the Spring 2017 runways.
In honour of the anniversary here are a few facts from allure.com.that we weren’t aware of about the original 1990 video just to make watching it even more fun:
1) George Michaels had been in the spotlight for a sensational career after his single album sold over 20 million copies and having enough of the camera, did not want to be on the Freedom 90 video. Instead he asked all the supermodels he saw featured for a 1990 January British Vogue cover to star in it instead of him. And the rest is history!
2) When Linda Evangelista appeared for the shoot, her platinum blonde hair was a shock to everyone on the set. She had dyed her own hair on a whim just the night before.
3) Instead of lip-syncing all the models preferred to just sing the lyrics out loud. “It’s definitely not as easy as it looks,” Turlington told a newspaper at the time. “We all sang the song out loud because it was too hard to breathe and lip-synch at the same time.”
4) The video was directed by David Fincher who was already well-known but not in the way he is today. At the time of the shooting, Fincher was directing “Alien 3” and soon after his career took off and he went on to direct several big-screen hits, like “Fight Club”, “The Social Network”, “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”, and, most recently, “Gone Girl”.
5) Mario Sorrenti, a fashion photographer at the time, was the unknown male scratching his bottom in one of the shots. He is now a famous and celebrated fashion photographer!
Featured Image source: https://twitter.com/965tic/ status/781622201875300352
Other sources: http://radio.com/2016/09/28/george-michael-freedom-90-video-remake/
Writing online has been both my part and full-time occupation for several years. Before that I did freelance writing for several venues. However, it is my online writing experiences that have provided me with a daily challenge, surprising fulfillment and an exciting home life!I am a retired aesthetician and makeup artist who worked in a spa environment for several years and I love writing anything makeup or skincare. This is my expertise niche and I enjoy it.Now on Daily Voice News, not only am I the writer for Style and Beauty but I write for several diverse categories, including Retro Reviews- re-visiting those fabulous movie classics. Life on this site just gets better!