Thursday November 3rd, 2016, 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. The World Series jinx and the Chicago Cubs is officially over as the Cubbies won their first World Series in 108 years, defeating the Cleveland Indians in 10 innings 8-7 in Game 7 at Progressive Field in Cleveland. The Cubs also broke the curse set the last time they got this far 71 years ago.
2. Tuesday evening, a predominantly African American church in Mississippi was vandalized, burned and a message spray-painted on the side of the church, with the words “Vote Trump.” Mayor Errick Simmons from Greenville, MS, called the incident, “hateful and cowardly act” and this was “an attack on the black community.” The Trump campaign stated that “deeply saddened for the members of the Hopewell M.B. Church community and condemn[s] in the strongest terms this terrible act that has no place in our society.” Hillary Clinton stated that, “”this kind of hate has no place in America.”
3. The high court in Great Britain threw a monkey wrench into the plans to leave the European Union when it ruled that lawmakers should vote on whether the government can begin the formal Brexit process by triggering Article 50 of the EU treaty. The government had argued that the Prime Minister could start the procedure of leaving the EU but the court ruled that no, Parliament must take a vote on how the measure will take place.
4. Maj. Gen. Sami al-Aridi of the Iraqi special forces said of the fight for the city of Mosul, that forces are on the outskirts of the city and that “the special forces have stormed in.” Spokesman Col. John Dorrian said that the U.S.-led coalition, noted that ISIS forces can no longer move in large numbers.” During a televised press conference with Iraqi forces in Qayara, south of Mosul, “and when we see them come together where there are significant numbers we will strike them and kill them.
5. On Sunday, Louis Farrakhan, the controversial leader of the Nation of Islam compared Hillary Clinton to Adolph Hitler. “Mrs. Clinton backed the crime bill and then called our young people super predators,” the 82-year-old reverend said. “Of course she apologized, but just a minute. See, Hitler could’ve said to the Jews after Auschwitz, ‘I’m so sorry.’ Would that be enough to satisfy you?” He also stated that Clinton, “put tens of thousands of black brothers and sisters in prison.”
Share with your friendsFollow Us