Tuesday, December 19th, 2016, 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. Donald Trump is the official president-elect after winning the votes needed in the Electoral College. President-elect Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States on January 20th, 2017.
2. In Berlin, Germany, a truck ran into a crowd of Christmas shoppers in a tourist area of the city leaving at least 12 dead and many more injured. The incident is being investigated as an act of terrorism as it is reminiscent of the attack on Paris in July which killed 84. The police stated that the driver of a black semitrailer drove onto the sidewalk and plowed into people shopping and the market stands, injuring about 50 additional people. The truck barreled more than 200 feet through the Christmas market and the driver then fled the scene.
3. On Monday, the Russian Ambassador to Turkey was gunned down during a speech he was giving at an Art Show. Ambassador Andrey Karlov lost his life and three others were injured. The shooter was identified as a 22-year-old officer with the Turkish riot police, Mevlut Mert Altintas, who had 2.5 years of service under his belt. The assassination of the ambassador occurred with his death being captured on film. The shooter shouted, “Don’t forget Aleppo! Don’t forget Syria!” while attacking Karlov.
4. Monday also saw the shooting of an Islamic Mosque in Zurich, Switzerland. Police have stated that the gunman opened fire on people praying, injuring three. The suspect fled the mosque and is being searched for. Police also stated that the Islamic Center on Zurich’s Eisgasse was used as a mosque, often by Somalis.
5. According to sources and Think Progress.com, the Embassy of Kuwait reportedly switched the location of an event from a Four Seasons hotel to Donald Trump’s new hotel in Washington, D.C., citing pressure from members of Trump’s organization. Think Progress reports that there is documentary evidence confirming the story. The Washington Post remarks that the switch was made just days after an event at Trump’s D.C. hotel where 100 foreign diplomats gathered to discuss “how are we going to build ties with the new administration.”
Share with your friendsFollow Us