Friday January 6, 2016, 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. Hearings were held in Washington D.C Thursday, in response to the alleged hacking of the Democratic National Committee’s computers during the Presidential election this past summer. According to top intelligence officials, Russia’s hacking and work was to place themselves in the center of the 2016 presidential campaign went well beyond hacking to include disinformation which included the creation of “fake news” and that the propaganda continues today.
2. President Elect Donald Trump has pushed back against the accusations that Russia deliberately worked to create chaos in the Presidential election. Trump once again used his favorite communication tool, Twitter, to call out the intelligence communities. Trump tweeted, “The dishonest media likes saying that I am in Agreement with Julian Assange – wrong. I simply state what he states, it is for the people to make up their own minds as to the truth. The media lies to make it look like I am against “Intelligence” when in fact I am a big fan!” Yet, Trump continues to allude to the fact that the intelligence communities do not have enough hard facts to prove that Russia was involved in the U.S election.
3. President-elect Donald Trump has defended a plan who has asked Congress for a plan to initially pay for building a wall at the U.S.-Mexico border, where he will then demand repayment from Mexico. Trump tweeted that, ““Any money spent on building the Great Wall (for sake of speed), will be paid back by Mexico later!” Of course, he included a scolding for the media again by saying that “dishonest media” and the coverage of his plan that predicted that Trump was backing down from his campaign promise to require the Mexican government to fund the project, not U.S. taxpayers. Kellyanne Conway, former campaign manager for Trump and now a counselor for the President elect, Trump is “going to build that wall and Mexico is going to pay for it. That hasn’t changed.” She also stated that “Congress is examining ways to have the wall paid for through their auspices.” Trump “will have Mexico pay it back.” Somehow.
4. For those who believe liberals, Democrats and even President Obama, did not care or issue a statement regarding the torture and physical abuse of a disabled young man by a group of teens in Chicago, the President did speak about the crime calling it despicable. On Thursday, the President talked about the race complications of the crime and that the crime was filmed live on Facebook. He stated that the footage showed the “terrible toll that racism, discrimination and hate takes on families and communities.” Continuing he said, “We see visuals of racial tensions, violence and so forth because of smartphones and the internet.” Obama also said of the racial divide that “What we have seen surfacing, I think, are a lot of problems that have been there a long time.”
5. On Friday morning, it was announced, that once again and for the final time in Obama’s administration, the U.S. economy added around 156,000 jobs. It marked the 75th consecutive month of job gains, the best on record. For all of 2016, the U.S. added over 2 million new jobs. Wages have also grown by a solid 2.9% in December,which is the best growth since 2009. U.S. unemployment hit a high of 10% in October 2009 and is now at less than half that level. In December, the unemployment rate rose just a tad to 4.7% from 4.6% in November, the lowest rate since 2007.The report was issued by the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on Friday
Share with your friendsFollow Us