Friday January 27, 2017 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. The Trump Administration, yet again, attacked the First Amendment when the chief strategist, Steve Bannon, told the media, “The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for a while. The media has zero integrity, zero intelligence, and no hard work.” Continuing Bannon said of the press that “You’re the opposition party. Not the Democratic Party. You’re the opposition party. The media’s the opposition party.” He reminded of how the press got it totally wrong in the Presidential Election, which they did, saying that, “the election was “a humiliating defeat that they will never wash away, that will always be there.” Members of the press and media were quick to respond, No.
2. The President visited Philadelphia Thursday to speak to the Republican Retreat for House members and Senators, where he announced the visit by the Mexican President would be cancelled. He also was found to be have used “alternative facts” when describing the murder rate in Philadelphia as “terribly increasing.” Facts show that in fact in the past 20 years the murder rate has decreased and his words were received as an insult to the city.
3. Wednesday, after the President of Mexico called off a meeting with President Trump next week, over Trump’s plan to build a wall to stop the influx of illegal immigrants into the U. S along the border of Mexico, Sean Spicer, the White House Press Secretary, announced the U. S would place a 20 percent tariff of imports from Mexico. Later the President tried to walk back the issue as it was realized that that type tariff planned would only hurt consumers in the U. S. The tariff increases the price of everything from avocados to beer to material goods on the American consumers.
4. In yet another questionable use of power and the size of the President’s ego, a news item was released that makes one wonder, Why? According to The Washington Post, National Park Service director Michael T. Reynolds was contacted by the President himself, to find photo which would show the President’s inauguration had the largest audience in history. Photos taken at the same time for President Obama’s inauguration and Trump’s inauguration, show that that the crowd was much larger for Obama.
5. Friday, it is expected that President Trump will relieve the sanctions that were imposed by the Obama Administration at the end of that term after it was revealed by the intelligence community that Russia tried to intervene the U.S Presidential election. Trump has said there is not hard core proof that Russia was involved in a propaganda movement to hurt Hillary Clinton’s campaign. Trump will undo the sanctions with an executive order
Agnes Bedard calls herself a daughter of the 60's. She stills believe that one voice can lead us out of darkness, that one person can start a change, and that one act of kindness can change one person's world. Politics is how the world works to change and that is why she is so passionate about it. As Agnes said we need to fight for our f.uture. Agnes Bedard is also the author of "Before I was Me" Bedard is also a wife, mother and grandmother