Thursday February 9, 2017 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. The Northeast is waking up, Thursday morning, to a winter storm that is bringing snow and in many states white out conditions. Thousands of flights have been cancelled with snowfalls in many areas reported to come down 3 inches an hour and blizzard like conditions in many states. Some states will see only 6 to 8 inches of snow to a few feet of snow. This comes after record breaking high temperatures in the high 60’s Wednesday.
2. President Trump on Wednesday took to Twitter to defend his daughter Ivanka over the cancellation of her fashion and accessory line at the high end department store Nordstrom’s. Trump tweeted not only on his personal twitter page but also on the official twitter page for the POTUS. Trump tweeted, “My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person — always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!” Nordstrom’s responded that it was a business decision as the fashion line was failing in sales. Yet, after Trump tweeted stocks did drop for the corporation which is causing ethics specialists to question the legality of President Trump’s tweet as it has a monetary factor in his daughter’s business.
President Trump signed three executive orders on Saturday afternoon in front of cameras in the Oval Office.
3. Wednesday, as President Trump’s pick for the Supreme Court vacancy, Judge Neil Gorsuch continued to meet and greet with Senators, a statement from Gorsuch to Senator Richard Blumenthal found the President in a strange situation. According to the Senator, Judge Neil Gorsuch stated that he found the attacks that President Trump has made towards other judges, “demoralizing” and “disheartening.” Even though Gorsuch’s team confirmed the comments, Trump says they were “mischaracterized.” Trump also attacked Senator Blumenthal on Twitter, stating that, “Sen.Richard Blumenthal, who never fought in Vietnam when he said for years he had (major lie), now misrepresents what Judge Gorsuch told him?” Another Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska also stated that Gorsuch also voiced the opinion that “Any attack on any of’ — I think his word to me was — ‘brothers or sisters of the robe is an attack on all judges.'”
4. In yet another possible appearance of ethics violations, Kellyanne Conway, the President’s official counselor, while appearing on Fox and Friends, stated that TV audiences to “go buy Ivanka’s stuff.” Conway stated for the audience, “I’m going to give it a free commercial here,” Conway said of the president’s daughter’s merchandise brand. “Go buy it today.” Because Conway is a federal employee the law states that “Federal employees are banned from using their public office to endorse products, regulations state.”
5. A new poll shows that President Trump’s approval rating for his immigration ban is very popular. The poll, Morning Consult/POLITICO shows that a majority of people (55%) approve of Trump’s controversial immigration ban, while just 38% disapprove, splitting heavily along partisan lines. While 82% of Republicans support the immigration order, 65% of Democrats oppose it. Thirty-five percent of voters strongly approve of the ban that was first implemented on Jan. 27. The poll did show that there has been a slip in polls Trump’s approval ratings but most Republicans back Trump’s cabinet picks and policies.
In other news, Wednesday night, voted to confirm Senator Jefferson Session to be Attorney General of the United States after battle with Democrats on the Senate floor Tuesday night.
Agnes Bedard calls herself a daughter of the 60's. She stills believe that one voice can lead us out of darkness, that one person can start a change, and that one act of kindness can change one person's world. Politics is how the world works to change and that is why she is so passionate about it. As Agnes said we need to fight for our f.uture. Agnes Bedard is also the author of "Before I was Me" Bedard is also a wife, mother and grandmother