News is a moving entity. To find just 5 stories for each day is not always easy as it changes from one minute to the next. For instance:
1. Late Monday night word came from the White House that embattled National Security Adviser Michael Flynn resigned his position. The news comes on the heels of information which indicates that Flynn misled or lied to Vice President Pence regarding the nature of phone calls placed between Flynn and the Russian Ambassador on December 29th, 2016. The calls that were made came as the Obama Administration sanctioned Russia for their interference with the Presidential election. As the word of Flynn’s resignation spread questions have mounted about what the President knew and when he knew it.
2. Tuesday morning, the Administration was trying to deflect the actions of their National Security advisor. The President and Fox News took the unusual step of blaming those behind the supposed leaks to the media regarding Flynn’s actions. This unusual tactic only had the effect of adding fuel to the fire. The President tweeted, “The real story here is why are there so many illegal leaks coming out of Washington? Will these leaks be happening as I deal on N.Korea etc?” For many, the tweet was confirmation that the President is out of touch with what is happening in his administration.
3. On Monday night, it was also revealed that the White House had been warned weeks ago that Nationals Security Advisor Michael Flynn had placed himself in a dubious position and as such could be the victim of blackmail by the Russian government. The message was delivered by Sally Q. Yates, the former Acting Attorney General, Trump fired, and a senior career national security official to the White House counsel. The same Yates who told the Justice Department that there would be no defense of Trump’s executive order as a travel ban.
4. In a continued effort to distract and explain the actions of the administration and that of National Security Adviser Flynn, Kellyanne Conway, the counsel to the President, appeared on the morning news programs to smooth over the resignation of Flynn. Unfortunately for Conway, things did not go well for the administration. Matt Lauer of the Today Show, questioned Conway on why did Flynn get pushed out (or “resign”) only now,” when it was known weeks ago, thanks to the warnings from the Justice Department, that he had misled Pence about what he had discussed with the Russian ambassador?” The reply was confusing. Conway stated that, Flynn up until Tuesday evening Flynn was still involved in national security policy briefings but that “as time wore on, obviously the situation had become unsustainable.”
5. Sean Spicer, on Tuesday afternoon, remarked that the President and the administration had seen the relationship with Flynn as being “not honest.” The Administration believed that the relationship created an “unstainable relationship.” In other words, President Trump asked for Flynn’s resignation after learning that Flynn may not have been truthful with Vice President Pence about the phone calls that had been placed to the Russian Ambassador over the sanctions that the Obama Administration placed over Russia’s involvement in the United States Presidential election. The White House said they asked for the resignation of Flynn due to an “erosion of trust.”
Share with your friendsFollow Us