Thursday March 2, 2017 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. The New York Times, The Washington Post and The New Yorker Magazine released bombshell accusations Wednesday evening that now, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, at the Republican National Convention, twice, but when asked about such a meeting during his confirmation hearing by Senator Al Franken, he denied any such meeting occurred. Sessions replied that he has had many meetings with different ambassadors while serving as a Senator. While it would not be unusual for a Senator to meet with ambassador from other nations it is unusual for one to deny any meetings had occurred. Sessions issued a statement that he did not misspeak that he was asked if while being a Trump surrogate during the campaign did he meet with the Russian Ambassador, which is no, but he did meet Russians as he worked as an U. S Senator.
2. After the report came out that Attorney General Jeff Sessions met with the Russian Ambassador during the Presidential election, Democrats are calling for Sessions to recuse himself from an investigation as to what influence Russia had on the Trump campaign. Other Democrats are calling for the Attorney General to resign as it is believed he lied to Congress during his confirmation hearings.
3. The New York Times reported that in the final days of the Obama Administration they worked feverishly to spread the word that Russia had in fact interfered with the 2016 Presidential election. The Obama administration contacted countries such as Great Britain, France and Germany to provide the information on the Russian plot before the Trump administration had a chance to destroy the information. Documents were also sent to various members of the House and Congress so that the information would be preserved for investigation.
4. Senator Cory Booker, (D-NJ) has begun to work with Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) to create a bill which would allow prescription drugs from other countries such as Canada to be brought here in the United States. Booker said at a press conference with Sanders that, “We have to bring down the prices of prescription drugs in our country.” Yet those against the measure say the bill does not protect the consumer enough as counterfeit drugs would be harder to identify.
5. Reuters is reporting that The Department of Homeland Security has only found $20 million in existing funds to put toward construction of a wall on the United States’ border with Mexico and that the wall will cost around $21.6 billion. The DHS limited is search to extra funds within its own $376 million budget for border security fencing, infrastructure and technology. In other words, the DHS is looking within its own budget to help in the construction of the border wall that President Trump campaigned on but Trump is demanding and said he would make Mexico pay for his idea of the border wall.
Agnes Bedard calls herself a daughter of the 60's. She stills believe that one voice can lead us out of darkness, that one person can start a change, and that one act of kindness can change one person's world. Politics is how the world works to change and that is why she is so passionate about it. As Agnes said we need to fight for our f.uture. Agnes Bedard is also the author of "Before I was Me" Bedard is also a wife, mother and grandmother