Monday March 27, 2017 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. After the debacle of the Republican Heath Care Bill and it being pulled due to the lack of votes for it to pass, Republicans are realizing that their next effort must include bi-partisan, across the aisle work with the Democrats. Democratic leader Chuck Schumer has offered to find common ground with Trump for repairing former President Barack Obama’s health care law. After the loss on the bill, President Trump had stated he was willing to just let the ACA or Obamacare just implode. Trump had blamed for the failure on Democrats and predicted a dire future for the current law but then turned on those in the Republican party such as the Freedom caucus. The President also stated he learned a lot about loyalty in the process to pass his healthcare plan.
2. Early Sunday morning, in Cincinnati, a gun battle broke out in a nightclub. The result of the gunfight left one man dead and left more than fifteen injured. The suspect or suspects have not been arrested yet and a city-wide manhunt is under way. According to the police department, there were more than 200 people in the hip-hop nightclub when calls to 911 started at 1:30 a.m. City Manager Harry Black said that night club has a history of gun violence which includes a shooting inside the club on New Year’s Day in 2015 and one in the parking lot in September of that year.
3. President Trump is due to announced Monday that he is creating a new agency to work on the problems that include an overhauling federal bureaucracy and working to fulfill key campaign promises. The White House Office of American Innovation will be run by the President’s son in law Jared Kushner. There could be some push back on the President’s choice as Kushner has not been vetted as a cabinet member. The Department of Justice had announced in January that President Trump did not violate anti nepotism because the President can pick whomever he likes to be a general counselor but now that Kushner is heading an actual committee that could change the ruling.
4. Thursday, archaeologists with Egypt’s Ministry announced that a large carved alabaster statue, which researchers believe represents King Tut’s grandmother Queen Tiy, has been discovered along the side of the west bank of Luxor along the Nile River. The statue was found accidently when another statue was being lifted, the statue of King Amenhotep III, Queen Tiy’s was behind the other statue. The statue dates to 1390 to 1352 B.C.
5. Sunday, in Moscow, mass demonstrations took place against the Putin regime. The protests were used to call attention to corruption in the Putin government. Opposition leader Alexei Navalny was arrested along with hundreds of others who took to the streets in one of the largest ever display against the government. Navalny, who hopes to run against Putin next year, had called out Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev for allegedly amassing a fortune while in office along with many others in the government who appear to use their offices as their own personal piggy bank.
Agnes Bedard calls herself a daughter of the 60's. She stills believe that one voice can lead us out of darkness, that one person can start a change, and that one act of kindness can change one person's world. Politics is how the world works to change and that is why she is so passionate about it. As Agnes said we need to fight for our f.uture. Agnes Bedard is also the author of "Before I was Me" Bedard is also a wife, mother and grandmother