Friday June 9, 2017 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. Prime Minister Theresa May took a gamble by calling for a snap election yesterday and she ended up rolling snake eyes. May’s party ended up losing Parliament May’s Conservative Party failed to gain the 326 seats they needed to set their government. May had an incredible lead going into the election but ended up with only 314 seats and the Labor Party receiving 261 sets. There are calls for May to resign which she has stated won’t happen but the loss is huge. Jane Merrick wrote for CNN that, “This is a major disaster for her personal authority over the country and the Conservative Party, particularly because she made this election all about her ‘strong and stable’ leadership.” Continuing she writes, “She made the election a referendum on Theresa May and she has lost.”
2. Thursday, former Director the FBI James Comey appeared before the Senate Intelligence Committee to describe his interactions with President Donald Trump. Comey described a meeting with the President that led Comey to believe that the President wanted the FBI to drop the investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn. Comey admitted that he leaked his own memo on the interactions to the press via a friend so that a special counsel would be appointed. Comey did vindicate President Trump by stating that he did tell the President was not under investigation. Comey did say the President “lied” about the FBI and those who worked there not having confidence in the leadership at the FBI.
3. Thursday, Representative Adam Schiff stated that Russia investigators did received a documents from former national security adviser Michael Flynn which are now being thoroughly vetted. “We’re going through the documents we’ve received from various witnesses, including Gen. Flynn, to determine if they meet the requirements of the documents we’ve for,” Schiff, who is the top Democrat on the Congressional Intelligence Committee, stated.
4. Thursday, a spokesman for the Pentagon stated that a United States aircraft shot down an Iranian-made drone that fired on coalition forces patrolling with partner forces in southern Syria. According to the spokesman, a US F-15 jet shot down the Iranian-made Shahed 129 drone, which was being controlled from a location in Syria north of At Tanf. It was shot down after it dropped one of several weapons it was carrying near a position where coalition personnel are training and advising partner ground forces in the fight against ISIS.
5. In the battle against the epidemic of opioid addiction, the Federal Drug Administration has advised the drug maker Endo Pharmaceuticals that they must remove its powerful opioid painkiller Opana ER from the market. The FDA says this the first time it has asked that an opioid pain medication be pulled due to “the public health consequences of abuse.” FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb stated that “We are facing an opioid epidemic — a public health crisis — and we must take all necessary steps to reduce the scope of opioid misuse and abuse. We will continue to take regulatory steps when we see situations where an opioid product’s risks outweigh its benefits, not only for its intended patient population but also in regard to its potential for misuse and abuse.”
Agnes Bedard calls herself a daughter of the 60's. She stills believe that one voice can lead us out of darkness, that one person can start a change, and that one act of kindness can change one person's world. Politics is how the world works to change and that is why she is so passionate about it. As Agnes said we need to fight for our f.uture. Agnes Bedard is also the author of "Before I was Me" Bedard is also a wife, mother and grandmother