UPDATED 6/21/17: Production will resume on Bachelor in Paradise after the investigation into sexual misconduct determined that there was “no wrongdoing.” Warner Brothers released a statement which said, “the tape does not support any charge of misconduct by a cast member, nor does the tape show … that any cast member was ever in jeopardy.” This statement appears to clear DeMario Jackson. However, Corinne Olympios has said this “is not over” and the investigation by her attorneys in not over. Warner Brothers has announced there will be some changes to their policies and procedures. The show is expected to be aired later this summer.
Rumors were flying this week after filming was unexpectedly halted for the 2017 season of Bachelor in Paradise and the majority of the cast was flown home from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The two cast members who were not with the group photographed at the Puerto Vallarta airport were Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson. The rumor is that the two of them had engaged in some “pretty raunchy” behavior which prompted allegations of misconduct and the suspension of filming. Below is what we know about what happened on the set, including the official statements which were released by Warner Brothers, Corinne and DeMario.
Filming of Bachelor in Paradise began on June 4. On June 6, the official cast list was announced by ABC. Everyone in the cast had been a former participant either during a previous season of The Bachelor or The Bachelorette. The sixteen members of The Bachelor in Paradise cast included:
Prior to the scandal, which is detailed below, here is more information about the very disappointed 2017 cast of Bachelor in Paradise. The season kicked off with lots of fanfare.
Many of the people chosen to be on Bachelor in Paradise were controversial during the time they had participated on the other shows in the past. Few were more controversial than Corinne and DeMario. Corinne was very romantically aggressive during her season on The Bachelor, removing her bikini top and rubbing sensuously up against Nick, the bachelor, in front of the other women, shocking most of them. DeMario was booted from The Bachelorette with Rachel when his girlfriend showed up on the set. First he denied knowing her. Then he claimed they had broken up, which she denied. After the girlfriend showed Rachel text messages that DeMario had recently sent her, Rachel kicked him off the show … only to have him selected soon afterwards to be on Bachelor in Paradise.
The rumor is that producers encouraged DeMario and Corinne to hookup during filming on Bachelor in Paradise. However, their activities on the first day of filming were deemed to have crossed a line, which prompted the entire show to be shut down only a few days after shooting began. It is rumored that the two of them became extremely drunk and she became too intoxicated to give consent to the behavior which followed. Although there are a wide variety of accusations being posted on the internet, at least one source (on the site Wet Paint) reported that at one point during the evening Corinne became limp, DeMario continued to engage in intimate activities with her, and she was carried naked by the staff to her room to “sleep it off.” The next morning she did not remember what happened. When she saw the film footage, she was outraged and upset that producers kept filming and did not stop DeMario, despite the fact that she appeared to be unconscious or nearly unconscious. Lawyers are now involved and the witnesses are being deposed. Below are the official statements released by Warner Brothers, Corinne and DeMario.
The official press release from Warner Brothers said: “We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico. We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action.” No other details of the misconduct were officially released by Warner Brothers.
Corinne has also released her own statement regarding the incident: “I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened on June 4. Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production. As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and has now become my reality.”
DeMario also released a statement: “It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations. I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.”
The bottom line is that both parties involved have lawyered up and we can expect multiple lawsuits and court cases in the coming months.
While most of the cast were photographed leaving Puerto Vallarta together, neither DeMario and Corinne were in the photo. The rumor is that DeMario had left alone and Corinne had gone home to Florida.
The evening of June 12, 2017, Parade Magazine reported online that their sources have told them that Bachelor in Paradise will not resume this season. It could return another year, although a lot will depend on the outcome of this lawsuit.
Most of the contestants and their fans were very vocal in expressing their disappointment on Twitter and their other social media accounts.
Share with your friendsFollow Us