Thursday June 22, 2017 5 Top Stories to Start Your Day
1. Homeland Security officials appeared before the Senate Intelligence Committee Wednesday where they confirmed that Russian hackers, under the order of Russian President Putin,” were potentially targeted by Russian government cyber actors” according to Samuel Liles, acting director of Homeland Security’s cyberintelligence and analysis division. Sen. Mark Warner, top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, did not understand the secrecy about the potential hacking, “I understand the notion of victimization, but I do not believe our country is made safer by holding this information back from the American public,” Warner said. Indiana Secretary of State Connie Lawson, the president-elect of the National Association of Secretaries of State. “We have seen no evidence that vote casting or counting was subject to manipulation in any state or locality, nor do we have any reason to question results.”
2. In what can be described as a campaign rally, President Trump spoke to his supporters in Grand Rapids, Iowa, Wednesday evening. The president spoke on a variety of subjects from being glad to leave the D. C swamp, the GOP’s wins in special elections such as Georgia and introduced a new plan to ban new immigrants from receiving any type of welfare assistance for 5 years after coming into the U.S. The new plan would build on the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, which allows federal authorities to deport immigrants who become public dependents within five years of their arrival.
3. Thursday morning, the secret GOP healthcare plan to dismantle the Affordable Care Act will be released to the Senate and the public around 9:30 a.m. Not much is known about the plan as it was created in secret by about 13 Senators and it has not been shared even with others in their party. Rumors have been shared stating the Medicare will take a large hit as less people would be eligible for the program. Another problem the GOP will face, if the rumor is correct, there will not be any funding for Planned Parenthood, due to their abortions services. Although, funds do not cover abortion services only health services the GOP wants to eliminate all funding to the women’s health service organization.
4. CNN, reported on Thursday morning, that President Trump asked top intelligence officials to respond publicly and say that there was no collusion between his campaign and the Russians. The information is reported by CNN, was told to Special Counsel Robert Mueller‘s team and Senate investigators. The claim states that Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and National Security Agency Director Adm. Mike Rogers that the President asked both men to intervene and that both men found the president’s request, “odd and uncomfortable.” However, the two security chiefs stated that they did not believe the president was not asking them to interfere with the investigation of Russia’s plot to hurt the presidential election.
5. It has been 3 months since the Congressional Black Caucus met with President Trump for the first time and it appears it may be last. President Trump has invited the Caucus to meet with him again but they have turned down the opportunity. According to Politico, the members of the CBC rejected the request because, “the lawmakers are concerned that the president will just use the whole thing as a photo-op, with one aide saying, “No one wants to be a co-star on the reality show.”
Share with your friendsFollow Us