Suspect Neutralized After Machete Attack on Belgian Troops

August 25, 2017 Belgian authorities say a man was shot and killed Friday evening after he attacked two soldiers with a machete in Brussels.

Belgian soldiers said the man shouted “Allahu Akbar” before charging them. One of the soldiers suffered a facial wound and the other a cut on his hand. The incident is being treated as a terrorist attack.

Belgian officials said the attacker, identified only as a 30-year-old man of Somali origin, died after being rushed to hospital.

Belgian Police ramped up security measures in Brussels after a series of attacks across Europe in 2015 and 2016, including in Paris and Brussels. Belgian soldiers routinely patrol the streets in the Capital city.

Earlier on Friday, Metropolitan Police detained a man armed with a knife outside of London’s Buckingham Palace. Two police officers were injured in a struggle with the suspect.

British Police increased patrols around major U.K. tourist sites after two attacks with vehicles and knives earlier this year on Westminster Bridge, which is near Parliament, and London Bridge.

Globally, machete and knife attacks have dramatically increased in recent years–including several in the United States. In 2016, police shot a machete wielding man at Nazareth Restaurant and Deli in Columbus, Ohio after the man attacked four people inside the restaurant.

SEE ALSO: ISIS Claims Responsibility for Hatchet Attack on German Train

Several People Injured in Knife Attack on Ohio State University Campus


Share with your friends
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditmail

Follow Us
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusyoutube

Enter your email address to get updated when we have new posts on the site and never miss a thing:

Delivered by FeedBurner





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *